HOME >> Featured Stories
Safe-proof your home against burglars
Whether you’re planning a family getaway or just leaving the house for a few hours, following a few key tips can go a long way when it comes to safe-proofing your home against burglars.
Here are a few pointers on how you can help protect your home and vehicle from being targeted:
• Avoid leaving out cardboard for recycling that clearly reveals you have made a large purchase (ie. Xbox, stereo system, television, laptop etc.)
• Leave your garage door closed whenever possible to keep expensive items like snow blowers, lawn mowers and power tools out of sight
• Avoid applying “family” decals to your vehicle that reveal how many children or pets you have. These decals can provide a lot of information to potential criminals
• Never use social media sites (ie. Facebook and Twitter) to announce you are leaving for vacation or planning to be away from home for any period of time
• Make sure your windows and doors are secured when you are away and if you do leave on vacation, have a neighbor or family member collect mail and newspapers
• Use timers on interior and exterior lights to give the appearance of occupancy in your home when you are not there
Residents who notice any suspicious activity in their neighbourhood are advised to notify police. Anonymous tips can be made to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).